Hannah Whitaker

After doing my artist presentation on Hannah Whitaker I was very excited to hear her talk about her work. I couldn't find much on her process or inspiration except for a few things that were mentioned in articles about her. So, getting to hear about about her process from her was really exciting to me.

The most interesting part I took away from her talking about her work was the development of the element of chance. When she started making screens for her camera a few years ago a lot was left up to chance. She had an idea of what she wanted to do but the end result could be completely different. Today, Hannah Whitaker says her final images turn out to be almost exactly like her original sketch. This was interesting to me because her inspiration came from artists, like John Cage, who depend solely on chance and now there is very little chance left in her work.

Otherwise, I really just enjoyed getting to hear more about her work. I would love to try some version of her process one day and see how it differs when using a digital camera.

Comments